Small Learning Community (SLC) Overview
Each Small Learning Community (SLC) offers individualized educational programs:
Pre-Med provides courses leading toward medical STEM careers, with classes such as:
- AP Biology,
- AP Environmental Science,
- AP Calculus, AP Spanish,
- AP Computer Science,
- AP English Composition,
- AP English Literature,
- Chemistry, Anatomy,
- STEM Research Academy at York College,
- STEM Science Research Internship opportunities,
- NASA-Global Warming and Climate Change,
- Science Research-Environmental Science,
- Medical Laboratory, Microbiology,
- CUNY College Now Courses
- Participant in NYSEF and STEM MATTERS DOE.
Humanities Honors Academy
Humanities Honors Academy: promotes academic and scholastic achievement for all students. It is an Honors College Preparatory Program offering scholars four-year tracks in the Humanities discipline. It consists of:
- Creative Writing - Personal Narratives/Poems
- Film Studies - critique and create films.
- Journalism with publications of the school’s newspaper.
- Plus our award-winning Model UN program
- Our rigorous Advanced Placement Courses culminate in a Capstone Diploma or Certificate that is accredited by 8 of the 9 Ivy League Universities, and accepted internationally.
- All classes in this SLC are Honors (H) which enables students to achieve grades above 100.
- Students are encouraged to apply for summer internships through the various organizations that offer stipends and hourly rates of pay to students.
Students also have the opportunity to become a part of the SLC Planning Committee which is a great asset on a college application. Students become peer mentors and/or plan activities and events for their community.
Performing and Visual Arts
Academy of Performing and Visual Arts is a rigorous four year program offered at Hillcrest that offers a 3 year track for:
- Theater, music
- Visual arts
- Technical theater,
- AP 2-D Art,
- Graphic design
- Orchestra and marching band
- Yearlong courses that encourage competency in the various art forms.
- Students are encouraged to take advantage of arts partnerships that Hillcrest has with institutions around the city for internships and summer programs. Offers thespians unique skills such as stagecraft, film making, and playwriting all while providing the opportunity to perform in numerous productions.
Biz-Tek prepares students for college and careers in a range of business and STEM fields and engages in:
- CTE endorsed programs in Virtual Enterprise
- Cyber Security/Software Engineering
- CAD/CAM -Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Manufacturing;
- Information Technology
- Computer Networking,
- Training for Cisco certifications
- Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (C-CENT)
- Cisco Certified Networking, Associate (CCNA).
Global Citizens offers our multilingual students a nurturing environment that promotes academic achievement through:
English as a New Language (ENL) Programs: We offer bilingual Spanish and bilingual Bengali
Title III After School and Saturday Program
Advanced Placement (AP) Language & Culture Class
SEAL Of Biliteracy
CUNY Language Immersion Program (CLIP) Through Queensborough Community College
- Cultural Events: Hispanic Heritage, Desi Night, Global Citizens Got Talent (GCGT), Field Day, World Fashion Night
Health Sciences offers a NYS CTE Certified Nursing Assistant program that includes:
- Supervised clinical rotations with training from registered nurses
- A developing Sports Medicine program with courses such as Exercise Physiology
- Human Anatomy
- Students participate in the Health Professions Club and receive paid and unpaid internships in the health field and volunteer experience.
Public Service & Law
Public Service & Law offers CTE Law Academy courses include:
- Forensics, Criminal Justice
- Constitutional Law and Legal Studies
- preparation for public and community careers in legal
- federal/state/local government agencies
- College credit for selected courses;
- High School Law Institute at Columbia University and NYU
- Participation in New York State Mock Trials
- Moot Court competition and Police Explorers
- Paid internship opportunities with the Justice Resource Center.
Teachers of Tomorrow
Teachers of Tomorrow provides partnership with CUNY through the PERC TAS program which allows students to:
- Lead lessons and mentor struggling students in Living Environment and Algebra
- Win awards through our partnership with Junior Achievement
- Participate in the HS Heroes program where they have the opportunity to teach for a day, twice each year
- Join a Teacher Assistant program through our foundations of education course and the opportunity to participate in job shadowing through American Express and ABC studios.
CUNY College Now Program
CUNY College Now Program allows:
- Students to earn college credits in English 101 and 102
- Computer Applications
- Criminal Justice
- Speech Communication
- Cultural Diversity
- Health Profession
- Science and Technology among others.